Fall is a beautiful time of year when the leaves change colours, the air becomes crisp, and the days become shorter. The colours of the leaves range from bright oranges and reds to deep yellows and browns, making for a stunning backdrop of colours throughout the country. The cooler temperatures and shorter days are perfect for cozy sweaters, bonfires, and other outdoor activities.
Aside from enjoying the fine weather, there are a few things that you need to take care of in the fall. One of these is preparing your lawn and ensuring it does not suffer during the long, cold winter months. Of course, once summer ends, you can forget about tending to your lawn till the following spring. But you couldn’t be more wrong.
Once fall sets in, the weather becomes dryer, and the beautiful lawn grass you have lovingly worked so hard to maintain all summer will slowly start to wither. During winter, your grass will be vulnerable to rot from snow and frost. Moreover, the soil will be starved of essential nutrients for several months. By the time spring rolls in, your lawn would be ruined, and all the effort of the previous summer would have been wasted.
So, before that terrible scene unfolds, you should take action to keep your lawn healthy and safe. We have laid out a list of things to do to ensure your lawn is well-protected and give you complete peace of mind.
Preparing Your Lawn for the Fall
- Aerate Your Lawn: Aerating your lawn during the fall helps to reduce soil compaction and open up the surface of your lawn. This will improve air and water penetration to the roots and help your grass absorb nutrients better. It will also provide a better environment for grass seed to establish itself and help to reduce the amount of thatch.
- Fertilize: Fall is the ideal time to fertilize your lawn as the grass is still growing and can benefit from the nutrients. Applying fertilizer will help your grass store energy and nutrients for the winter months, which will help it come back greener and healthier in the spring.
- Clear Debris: Remove fallen leaves, twigs and other debris from your lawn to keep the area neat. If left on the grass, debris can smother the grass and lead to dead patches. Raking the leaves away from the grass will also help to reduce the amount of insect and disease problems often caused by decomposing leaf matter.
- Mow Regularly: Be sure to keep up with your lawn mowing and trimming schedule. Long grass can lead to disease and pest problems and not allowing the grass to get enough sunlight and nutrients. Mowing at the recommended height for your turf type is key to keeping a healthy lawn.
- Overseed: Overseed your lawn with high-quality grass seed. This will help to fill any bare spots and prevent weeds from taking over. It will also help to thicken the lawn, reduce competition from weeds and give the grass a better chance of survival as the weather gets colder.
- Control Weeds: Use a pre-emergent herbicide to help keep weeds from taking over your lawn. This will help to prevent weeds from germinating and reduce the need for spot treatment.
- Water: Watering your lawn deeply but infrequently will help the roots develop deeper and more robust for the winter months. Allowing the soil to dry out between waterings will further strengthen the grass and help it become more drought-tolerant.
So, there you have it! Following these essential steps ensures that your lawn is pristine, healthy and ready to bloom at your command. Yes, all of this is challenging work, and it is. You will need to roll up your sleeves and bend your back to protect your lawn. You may even have to take some personal days off as more than just weekends may be needed.
The Smart Move
If this is too much work for you, the next best option is to hire the services of a good handyman. Handyman services are excellent for all kinds of repair, installation, maintenance and cleaning jobs around the house. They will have experienced personnel who can care for your lawn expertly and efficiently. They will know precisely what fertilizer and herbicide will work best for your grass. They will use high-quality equipment to clean leaves and debris from your lawn. What’s more, you could get the whole thing done within a very reasonable budget and have all the time to enjoy the beauty of fall.